Ways to support a positive sense of well‑being
There are many simple things you can do to protect and improve your mental health!
Below are some tips you can follow to help you take care of and strengthen your mental health. It doesn’t matter whether your mental health is high, reasonably good, or low. Strive to do as many of the activities listed below as you can.
You know yourself best and probably know which of these suggestions will work for you. But consider challenging yourself by trying something that may be outside your comfort zone.
If you find it difficult to get started, connect with a friend, family member, or co-worker who can help you get motivated.
If you’re having trouble completing your daily activities, please reach out to your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or someone you trust for advice and support.
And if you’re ready for next steps, read on!
You might need extra support to improve your mental health, or you might need help in times of distress. Check out the list of mental health services below, which can support you in your province or territory.
- British Columbia
- Prince Edward Island
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Sources and citations
- 1. New Economics Foundation. (2010). Five ways to wellbeing. New applications, new ways of thinking. London, UK: Author.
- 2. Attree, P., French, B., Milton, B., Povall, S., Whitehead, M., & Popay, J. (2011). The experience of community engagement for individuals: a rapid review of evidence. Health and Social Care in the Community, 19(3), 250–260.
- 3. Mental Health Foundation. (2018). Pets and mental health.
- 4. Liebenberg, L., Joubert, N., & Foucault, M.L. (2017). Understanding core resilience elements and indicators: A comprehensive review of the literature. Ottawa, ON: Public Health Agency of Canada.
Check in on your mental health. The Mental Health Self Check takes less than 15 minutes to complete!Start Self Check Licensed by